I have owned only two Mustangs. My first was an early ’65 coupe that I bought when I was in college in 1988. I had plans to restore it, but it was too far gone.

I sold my ’65 for parts after I found my 1966 Sprint 200 coupe in January 1990. Only, at that time, instead of sporting its original Silver Blue topcoat with a blue/blue interior, my car was painted Wimbledon White with a custom dark brown interior, including an incorrect bench seat.

The only clues to it being a Sprint were its chrome air cleaner cover with a Sprint 200 decal and the quarter panel ornament delete. Later I found the holes in the floor for the original console.

Today, my Sprint sports Bright Blue Pearl Metallic paint (Ford code KF) and a standard black interior with bucket seats, and it once again has its console.

Over the past 24 years, my little Sprint has served me well, taking me through college and making many memories.

In 1992, I packed my Sprint to its roof with everything I owned, and I drove it straight through from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Yonkers, NY. My sister and I drove through the night, with 20 plus hours in the driver’s seat and only stopping to fill up with gas and swap drivers as we depleted each tankful. My little coupe drove like a dream!

My Sprint was in storage for a year while I was in USAF basic training and tech school. I remember that in January and February 1993, while stationed at Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY, I stored my Mustang in a parking lot at my apartment complex while I attended training in Mississippi.

I returned only to find my car buried under 15′ of hard packed snow! It took me all day to gently dig my poor car out. Luckily, it emerged unscathed.

In 1994, I received new orders, and my Sprint joined me in Tucson, AZ where I was stationed for six years. It was my daily driver the entire time, seeing many duties as a grocery getter, weekend cruiser and baby hauler, along with many trips to the top of Mt. Lemmon. All the time my Sprint never left me stranded.

Upon my separation from the Air Force, I shipped my coupe to upstate NY where we settled, and it has been retired to a fair weather, weekend cruiser.

Today, as it always has been, my Sprint 200 continues to be a great source of enjoyment as I continue to restore, improve and modify it. My current projects are to add power brakes and power steering.

There is nothing that I enjoy more than spending a weekend in my garage with my son working on our car!

Posted in Sprints